This web site would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set.

To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

continue

The Premier

In January 1921 the hitherto neglected residents on the eastern side of Enfield were provided with their own cinema. The Premier, on the corner of Eastfield Road and Hertford Road, Enfield Wash, was built as a speculative venture by Mr W. Grenfell, a local builder.

The cinema was opened at 2pm on 17th January 1921 by Mr George Ketteringham, Vice Chairman of the Cheshunt Urban District Council when he addressed an audience of nearly 700 people.

In 1930 a Weston Electric sound system was installed and was considered by many to provide the finest acoustics in any cinema.

Mr Larry Hyde recalls his keen interest in the Premier which was his local cinema and from the age of twelve he spent a great deal of his time there. In 1946 at the age of 16 he started work at the Premier as a boy projectionist and worked there for about three years. Staff at the Premier wore red uniforms.

The Premier stopped showing films on 19th April 1961. It then became a bingo club until early in 1985 when the building suddenly closed and was quickly demolished.

Created by Art Start working with year 5 pupils from Chesterfield Primary School

Art Start exists to give all members of the community access to high quality arts activities.

Using money raised through the National Lottery, the Heritage Lottery Fund gives grants to sustain and transform our heritage.

“Lidl are proud to participate in a project which will postively benefit our customers and the local community.”
This project would not have been possible without the help and support of:

Enfield Local Studies Unit

Enfield Homes
St Modwen PLC
London Borough of Enfield
You are here: The Mosaics The Premier