This web site would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set.

To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

continue

The Coronation

“Plans have been submitted for an electric picture palace theatre in High Road, New Southgate.”.

This entry in the Southgate Recorder during 1910 heralded the construction of the Coronation cinema which opened at the end of 1911. The owners were Mrs May and Mr Hopkins.

Inside were two aisles, both carpeted with about six seats to a row on the outside blocks and a few more in the centre block. At the rear was a small raised box holding four seats in two pairs – this was the ’balcony’. The walls were divided into panels by lines of simple plasterwork and in the centre of each panel was an ornate gas bracket. The predominant colour was pink.

With the coming of the ‘Talkies’ no attempt was made to convert the Coronation to sound. Instead another cinema, the New Coronation, was built next door. The old cinema became a dance hall until the start of the Second World War when it later became a factory producing powder puffs. The building was still standing in 1966 but was demolished soon afterwards.

Created by Art Start with help from local people, Bujar, Mikey, Jakub, Naomi,
El-Bethel, Gabriel, Dawit, Susan, Tiguist, Ariana, Louise, Sarah and Emilio

Art Start exists to give all members of the community access to high quality arts activities.

Using money raised through the National Lottery, the Heritage Lottery Fund gives grants to sustain and transform our heritage.

“Lidl are proud to participate in a project which will postively benefit our customers and the local community.”
This project would not have been possible without the help and support of:

Enfield Local Studies Unit

Enfield Homes
St Modwen PLC
London Borough of Enfield
You are here: The Mosaics The Coronation